Thousands in Brooklyn still in dark as New York City deals with another power outage

Thousands were without power in parts of Brooklyn on Monday morning as New York dealt with another blackout and intense summer weather.

Con Edison said about half of the 33,000 customers in Brooklyn had power restored Monday morning. Scattered outages kept more than 50,000 customers in the dark throughout parts of the city and Westchester County late Sunday.

Just after 5 a.m., the electric company said more than 30,000 customers had power restored and that the remaining 21,500 would have it back by Monday afternoon.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo slammed the electric company and said he was deploying state police, generators and light towers to assist.

"We have been through this situation with Con Ed time and again, and they should have been better prepared – period," Cuomo said in a statement. "This was not a natural disaster; there is no excuse for what has happened in Brooklyn."

Cuomo, who ordered an investigation into the blackout in Manhattan earlier in July, said he would widen the probe to include the Brooklyn outage. 

Equipment failure caused a five-hour blackout in Manhattan on July 13 that affected 40 blocks from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, Con Edison has said.

Amid intense heat, the electric company took the more than 30,000 customers off power Sunday night for repairs to prevent a larger blackout, Mayor Bill de Blasio said..


Read More...