Mexican Authorities Discover Culprit Behind Iowa Family’s Death

A water heater that “was leaking gas, maybe from use or lack of maintenance” was likely the source of the toxic fumes that led to the deaths of an Iowa family last week in their Mexican vacation home, one of the country’s prosecutors revealed Monday.

The head prosecutor of the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo, Miguel Angel Pech, told the Radio Formula station that “a high level” of gas was found in the rented condo where the couple was staying, according to the Associated Press.

Iowa officials identified the family as Kevin Sharp, 41; his wife, Amy Sharp, 38, and their children Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7. They were from Creston, Iowa.

Autopsies had indicated the family died from inhaling toxic gas in the resort of Tulum, but the source hadn’t been determined.

Read more at foxnews.com.